The weeks ahead are jam-packed with wonderful reading and library opportunities, and here Mrs Copeman explains what's coming up..
Here's what's been happening and what's coming up.
'Amazing Illustrators': live online drawing tutorials with children's illustrators
Korky Paul (Y1, 2, 3, 4)
Knife and Packer (Y5)
Tom McLaughlin (Y6)
National Storytelling Week from 30 January to 6 February
Mrs Copeman will be focusing on audiobooks with information on the website and on year group Classrooms. For all year groups.
World Read Aloud Day 3 February
For Juniors. #WorldReadAloudDay
Online reading group with Y5.
Permission has been kindly granted by Scholastic Children's Books for us to continue reading this over Google Classroom during lockdown.
Children's Mental Health Week 1 to 7 February
Mrs Copeman will be focusing on the 'Reading Well' collections from the Reading Agency that we have in the Junior and Senior Libraries.
There are two sections:
- Reading Well for Children for Key Stage 2 (aged 7 to 11 years)
- Reading Well for Young People which is a list of expert endorsed books about mental health, for 13 to 18 year olds. They contain advice and information about issues like anxiety, stress and OCD, and difficult experiences like bullying and exams.
They are available for free from RBWM libraries and of course in our school collections.
We also have
- Year 7 Boys and Girls: Tuesdays 3pm
- Year 8+ Boys and Girls: Tuesdays 1pm
The Y8+ group is taking part in a schools-wide 'Read and Review' group. They will all be reading When the World Was Ours by Liz Kessler and taking part in an online book discussion group on 5 March with schools from all over the region. We are the only RBWM school taking part.
Watch this space
There'll be more coming up, including:
- Michael Morpurgo Month for Juniors (February). There will be online author session with him on 11 February
- World Book Day (4 March). There will be more virtual author visits for all year groups, hopefully.